Simple toasted muesli with walnuts, coconut and almonds. It’s also vegan and healthier than granola.
At the risk of stating the obvious, we’re about two weeks into January. And that means:
- Some people haven’t given up on their New Year’s Resolutions yet;
- The Internet is packed with healthy and/or sugar free recipes. And Instant Pot recipes, for some reason (did everyone get one of those for Christmas or something!?); and
- Most of us have to rush to get to work or school in the morning, and are probably missing the Christmas break.
So, if you’re looking for a fast and reasonably healthy breakfast, then the easiest option would probably be overnight oats. But if you’re looking for something a little different or – heaven forbid – aren’t a fan of overnight oats, then muesli’s here to help.
Toasted muesli is basically a healthier version of granola. In a nutshell, it’s a mildly sweet, slightly crispy oat-based cereal that (generally) contains far less sugar and fat than granola. I also find muesli a lot more filling than granola, especially when paired with sliced banana and Greek yogurt.
(By the way, some people use the terms toasted muesli and granola interchangeably. I’m not quite sure why).
This particular muesli is packed with walnuts, almonds and coconut, and flavored with a mixture of cinnamon, maple syrup and maple extract. Maple extract is definitely worth tracking down, as it adds a burst of maple flavor without a ton of additional sugar. However, if you can’t find it, just use more vanilla extract.
Last of all, if you’d like to add some extra pizazz, feel free to add some dried fruit, yogurt-covered raisins and/or chocolate chips. Just make sure you add them after the muesli has cooked and cooled!
Maple Walnut Toasted Muesli
Easy toasted muesli with walnuts, coconut and almonds. It’s vegan, gluten-free and healthier than granola.Recipe type: MuesliYield: About 3 cupsIngredients
- 2 cups (200g) rolled oats
- ½ cup (55g) chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup (30g) slivered almonds
- ¼ cup (20g) shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- ¼ cup (60mL) maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C). Line a large baking sheet with non-stick paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, chopped walnuts, slivered almonds, shredded coconut, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the vanilla extract, maple extract and maple syrup. Mix until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the muesli is lightly golden.
- Allow the muesli to cool completely. Once cooled, store in an airtight container.